Painting your house, whether it’s the interior or exterior, can be a challenge, especially if it’s your first time. Here are some helpful tips to prepare for your upcoming transformation.
For the Exterior
- Clean: Make sure that the house is ready to be painted by using a pressure washer to remove any dirt or dust. Make sure you work your way around the house from top to bottom.
- Repair: Scan the perimeter for any damaged surfaces. For any holes, use epoxy and a spackle knife and gently sand once dry.
- Remove any excess paint: Take note of any loose or chipped paint around the house. Using a scraper remove the excess.
- Caulk: Apply caulk between the trim around the doors and windows, fill any gaps.
- Stains: Apply one coat of stain-blocking primer to any noticeable stains.
- Tape: Using painter’s tape, and then cover any door and window with a plastic sheet.
- You're now ready to start painting!
For the Interior
- Remove Furniture: It’s always good to clear everything out of the painting area.
- Clean: Remove any excess dirt or dust that may still be lingering.
- Remove any excess paint: You can do so by using a scraper or a smooth piece of sandpaper.
- Prime the walls: Using a high-quality primer is essential for painting to last. For drywall, use a water-based primer, and for walls that need extra love (smoke damage, stains, paneling), use an oil-based primer.
- Tape: Protect any areas that don’t need to be painted such as electrical outlets, wall sconces, trim, etc.
- Now you're ready to tackle this paint project!
If this doesn’t seem like the job for you, it’s the job for us. Let the experts at Texas Professional Painting handle it for you! Contact us today to schedule an appointment.